So, Vanity…we all have a bit of it, right? I mean, it is not so much a ‘nose in the cloud, I’m too awesome for the world’ kind as the ‘I am precious in my own way, and I KNOW IT!’ garden-variety!!!
This type of vanity is not obnoxious in any way, and mostly it’s rather endearing! Still, it’s a moment of self-love that can’t be ignored. I am guilty of some of these myself, and I’m sooo not going to tell you which ones! heheh!
1. Making sure that you hold your new purse ‘best side out’! You know, no matter what tearing hurry you are in, you make sure that the snazzy side of your purse is turned outwards – the side with the obvious designer logo, or the gorgeous buckle, or the pretty flap!
2. Strutting! You walk into a room, and everyone is seated, and well, you know that everyone is watching, and you know that you are no beauty queen, still, you know you are dressed at your best, and your hair is shiny, and people are oggling you, even if it is briefly…and you strut…just a little…but it’s a strut nevertheless.
3. Exhibition of Good Parenting Skills! Your daughter is about to make a fuss, and other people are present. You keep your cool, talk to your child, calm her down, solve the problem – basically do just what a good parent ought to. And you ARE a good parent… Everyone is watching, and you know you rock! And then you flash your neighbor a smile like ‘Hi, I am a good parent, and I do this sort of thing all the time…it’s nothing!’. No, you are not haughty or anything, just proud that you did good!
4. Telling a Joke, and Loving It! Your sense of humor is popular with all your friends, you are sweet yet ROFL funny! And you say a joke, and everyone is doubling over, rolling on the aisles, and loving you! You are thinking, “Boy, I’m pretty funny, huh?!”
5. My Family is Awesome too! This is probably the sweetest kind of vanity, and I’m sure most women are guilty of it…personally, there exists enough evidence to prove that I am so guilty of this little vanity! Your husband is addressing a crowd and the audience is spell bound! Your child just sang a song in the most wonderful voice, or said the most clever thing a child has ever said, and everyone is Oooh-ing and Aaah-ing at him or her! And you’re thinking, “yeah, I know, they are wonderful…and they’re mine…Booyah!!”
6. Doing a Personality Test/Quiz and Posting it on Facebook! Okay, you know you are a nice person, and a Facebook quiz just told you you’re right! You answered honestly, and still got told that you are a wonderful team worker, mom, friend, lover etc etc. Facebook asks you, “Publish this Quiz” or “Skip this Step”! You picture your friends seeing this, and all the comments you’ll get, and then everyone, and I mean at least everyone, clicks over to take the quiz. So, you hit “Publish”! Then Facebook sends you a message that you are an awesome user! Win and win, all around!
7. You go up to Your Spouse and ask them, “I was wonderful out there, right”, just after you have done something awesome!!!! And you know they will say ‘Yes’! (I don’t do this all that often, but a significant other person does it all the time…and I kind of find that endearing in him…!!!!) No, you don’t brag about yourself to anyone else, but you do fish for compliments from your spouse, because seriously, who loves you more? Of course, you are open to constructive criticism, and you do get a lot of it (!), but sometimes, you know your significant other thinks you’re wonderful, and YOU JUST WANT TO HEAR IT! Sweet!
8. You start a blog. (you link shamelessly…here’s my twitter feed for good measure! @janehamilton !!!! shame on me…) And then, another one. Even though you know quite well that the both could have easily been combined into one blog, and it wouldn’t be such a big deal! Because really, the stuff here is not that earth-shattering! (Okay, this vanity moment? I think I’m the only one here guilty of it! Still, in the name of being honest, and all…)
9. You write a post about Your Moments of Vanity!
10. You link it to OhAmanda’s Top 10 Tuesday, so that you can see your name along with some wonderfully awesome, enviable bloggers out there, and tell yourself, “Hey, my name appears on a blog other than mine! Yaaay!”.
I’m hopeless, I rest my case! So, what I really want to say is – even though we all have these little moments of vanity, it is what makes us human, and endearing, and loveable…. and also, reminds us that Humility is important too!
Okay, I have an obsession (this blog just got dangerously personal…)…staring at food…there I said it! People make food, eat food, sell food, buy food, design food, sculpt food…I just stare at it. At the lovely colors, the lovely food photography, the chocolate cake that I can almost taste off the book or computer screen, the roasted chicken I can almost smell in that scrumptiously lighted photograph…
And the best place to appease the hunger pangs coming out of my eyes? Food blogs!! I don’t know why I had to say that with double exclamation points, since food blogs are a dime a dozen these days…! exclamation point! (I seem to use a lot of these nowadays, probably because I can’t believe myself half the time?? Question marks?
Okay, help me out people…don’t tell me no one else in the entire blogosphere has this obsession??…come on!!! Okay, I hear you back there…thanks for the support.
Anyway, I have, like, tons of them subscribed on my reader, and bookmarked left and right, that it takes me hours, every night, to finish oggling at the food. Some recipes, like a few, …okay, maybe 1 or 2 in the entire time I’ve been reading these food blogs… I have tried to make. Others, I simply look at, and wish someone would make them for me…not make by myself, mind you…but that someone would bake me that cake, roast me that chicken, saute that asparagus, get me that doughnut, give me that cookie, brew me that coffee…you get the idea ….. siiiiiiiiiighghghghgh! I am really sad now…
But WHY? Why do you obsess over food blogs? Why do you do it? My answer, (channeling Isla Fisher here), “Because when I obsess over food blogs, the world is a better place”. Camera zooming in on dreamy eyes (mine), shocked expression on face (yours), violin playing a slow tune, rising to a crescendo (orchestra…Hey, who invited them?!?!)… surreality follows…
So, maybe I am no expert when it comes to blogging (I totally wrote ‘globbing’ just now…probably delirium from staring at all that sugar!), but these are some of the best food blogs out there…take a peek, and hope you can never look away…and Hey! if you cook some of the food you see here, be nice and send me a sampler, or a big package…I’m not picky that way!
Bakerella You have got to be from some other galaxy, if you are a foodie and haven’t heard about this lovely lady. She stands for all that is sweet and cute…lotsa sweet, but the cuteness…ooohhhh, I feel faint already!!
The Pioneer Woman I wish I was one of her kids, no seriously…Ree, will you adopt me…like, not for always, or anything…but only for meal times…please…Pretty PLLLLeeaaaassssse?!?!? Could I have your Cinnamon Rolls just once, please? Then I can die peacefully… Reader, go to her website, click on the ‘Cooking‘ link, and stay there!
SmittenKitchen The only food blog whose name is a warning of your fate once you start reading the posts! I am smitten, absolutely smitten! There is always a jaw-dropping picture smack in the middle of the page, and…well, that’s usually as far as I get! Her recipes list is so long, you could put on weight just by reading it! And I am smitten…but I already said that… Go get smitten, people! You know you want to…after this picture….
Joy the Baker Can’t argue with that! What an appropriate name! What joy at looking at all those good eats, and that fabulous personality! I love the little bees buzzing around on her blog…I mean, who can resist food like that, right?
Love and Olive Oil And while we are on the ‘couples’ thing, these guys are pretty cool, too! Love and Olive Oil, two very healthy, very ‘good for you’ things…I can’t complain about this visual either!
Multiply Delicious Really huge, mouthwatering pictures of food, and this Heath Bar Chocolate Trifle pretty much did it for me! I’m a a fan for life! Mommy Heather and her family of 4, cute family picture, adorable babies, yummy color-scheme, – win, win, win!!
Fancy That…Fancy This Ameena Din‘s awesome humor, her cute little baby girl, her humor, her interesting food choices, equally interesting rants about the furniture, and humor! She has some good recipes too! But best of all, she has visited my blog..Yaaay! I have 1 reader that other people recognize!!!!
And, finally, Dad~Baker & Chef Super Dad who makes the best Chocolate Mousse in the whole world, on short-order? Bakes awesome birthday cakes? Cooks delicious Indian cuisine? Takes on a Daring Baker Challenge? Check, check, check, and check…Guilty on ALL counts of Awesomeness! Sheesh, I envy the kids!
Okay, now that I am sufficiently miserable knowing what I’m missing, I will proceed to share the miserableness with my family through dinner…Actually, I am not that bad a cook, just not ‘Food Blog’ material…so, I wrote this post to get some of that awesomeness onto my blog!!
Enjoy… But first, tell me, do you know of any good food blogs out there? Or do you have one of your own?…Tell me in your comments; I would love to visit!